If you are looking for dessert options other than the pumpkin pie for your Thanksgiving Feast, then look no further and try this moist and flavorful cake. It’s just a pure pumpkin cake with the right amount of flavor, soft crumb, not too sweet and a pleasant blend of spices , none of them are over powering. This cake is absolutely special as it’s my first Bundt cake. The beauty of any Bundt cake is that it doesn’t need much garnishing, a big plus for an occasional baker like me.
Prep : 15 minutes
Baking : 45 minutes
Ready in : 60 minutes
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
½ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups canned pumpkin ( I used Libbey’s)
( one 15 oz can of pumpkin purée yields 2 cups)
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12 by 18 inch cake pan . I used a Bundt pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil and applesauce. Blend in vanilla and pumpkin, then beat in eggs, one at a time. Gradually pour in the dry flour mixture . Mix all the ingredients well. Stir in the walnuts if using. Spread batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes ( for 12 by 18 inch pan) , or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. For my Bundt pan, I baked for 45 minutes. Let it cool.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
If you like more spice, you can also add 1 teaspoon each of nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves. Add them when you are sifting the dry flour mixture ( step 2 above ).
You can also make muffins with same batter, just bake for 18 minutes.
You may also use any crème cheese frosting or caramel /chocolate sauce for garnishing.
Whatever way you present this cake, it’s going to be everyone’s favorite.
DIY Table Runner for Thanksgiving
A few years ago, I painted this burlap table runner with different acrylic colors and this runner was ready in less than 30 minutes. You can buy burlap as lose fabric from any craft store and use your imagination to create a DIY runner which in itself is a centerpiece.
Have a nice Thanksgiving with your family and friends !