Back in India, I remember having fruit cakes on special occasions. Usually store bought and gone in minutes after opening the pack. I still have vivid memories of those special times when my family enjoyed this sweet treat. Baking was not that popular in India at that time and hence we never tried making one at home.
I had my mind set on Fruit Cake this holiday season. I twisted my own Vanilla Orange cake recipe I have been using for many years. The Fruit Cake from that recipe with a few deletions and additions turned out nice and flavorful. Fill your home with Christmas spirit with this sweet smelling and colorful Fruit Cake, no icing needed.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 50-60 minutes
Serves : 10 people
⅓ cup canola oil
¾ cup Brown Sugar
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated Orange zest
1 ¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup Candied Fruit
½ cup Raisins
¼ Cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 F and grease a 9 by 5 inch bread baking pan. You can also use a 9 by 2 inch round pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, including fruit and nuts. Keep aside.
- Beat sugar and oil in a different bowl until smooth. Add vanilla and orange zest. Add one egg at a time to this wet mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour the wet egg-sugar-oil mix into the dry ingredients, mixing gently. Mix enough to get a smooth batter. Again, do not over mix. Pour it in the baking pan and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out dry.
- Cool and enjoy with your favorite beverage.