You can never have enough recipes for veggie patties. This is true because these have lot of scope for variation. My recent twist to this classic recipe is the addition of tofu. Tofu is made from curdled soy milk much as we make paneer from regular milk.
I’ve tried using bread slices & observed that they don’t have much to do with the firmness of this patty. So you may skip using any other kind of firming ingredient as potatoes & tofu bind together very nicely.I’ve tried this recipe on couple of occasions, the most recent being the Superbowl Sunday. Most of the guests liked it, so here is the recipe.
Makes 3 Difficulty level: Medium
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time : 6 minutes
Ready In: 15 minutes Course: Main
1/2 cup extra firm tofu
1/2 cup boiled potatoes
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients except oil in a small bowl.
- Make round balls & flatten them. You will get 3-4 patties depending on the size of the ball you make .
- Heat oil in a medium skillet & pan fry all the patties together. Cook each side for 3 minutes on medium heat or until golden brown. Repeat for the other side.
- Serve hot with burger buns & your favorite sauce & veggies.
Next time skip potato & use boiled black beans or any other beans instead. Or with bread.
You may try other fresh herbs like basil or parsley.
- Tofu is cholesterol free & a good source of protein and calcium.
- Potato is a good source of vitamins B1, B3 and B6 and minerals such as potassium, phosphorus and magnesium, and contains folate, pantothenic acid and riboflavin.
Fun facts about Tofu
- Legend has it that tofu was developed by prince Liu An (179-122 B.C.) while searching for a substance to help him achieve immortality. Liu An was the grandson of Liu Bang, the founding emperor of the Han Dynasty.
- The soft style tofu is also called ‘Silken Tofu’.
- It is very easy to digest.