Making paneer at home may appear to be a cumbersome task but if you read the step by step directions below, you will realize it is probably one of the easiest tasks in the kitchen. The only special requirement is the cheesecloth which is available at most of the grocery stores. This recipe will yield around 8 oz paneer.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Draining time: 1 hour Setting Time: 2 hours
You will need:
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 3 tablespoons vinegar/ lemon juice
- Cheesecloth ( 14 inches / 14 inches)
- A Colander
- Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low medium, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice or vinegar. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes until the milk has completely curdled. Keep stirring.
- You will see a mass of curdled milk floating on the surface.If not, add some more vinegar / lemon juice.
- Remove from heat.Transfer to a colander lined with cheesecloth.
- Run it under cold water for couple of minutes & tie the ends of cheesecloth & hang the paneer wrapped within cheesecloth for an hour to drain as much whey as possible.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours to further solidify the paneer.
Fresh paneer will stay good for couple of days in refrigerator. After that, it will start losing its flavor. Store it in an air tight container.
Soaking it in water also enhances its shelf life.