I learned how to make sprouts from my mother ( beyond curries,lentils etc.). This recipe is an adaptation of one of her recipes only. For the recipe I’ve used Black Chana (Black Chickpea ) sprouts .The trio of boiled sweet potato, raw sprouts & avocado makes a hearty breakfast/salad. Avocado in my recipe is replacing cucumber from the original recipe. This is an all season salad as it can be served hot or cold depending on the weather.It can also be served as a side dish to compliment the main dishes.
To learn more about sprouts please check this link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouting
Serves: 2 Level: Easy
Ready In: 10 minutes Course: Side Dish / Breakfast/Salad
- 1 cup Black Chana sprouts (or any other sprouts)
- 1/2 cup Sweet Potato,boiled & diced
- 1/2 cup Avocado,diced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Chat Masala ( from Indian grocery stores )
- Mix the sprouts, sweet potato & avocado.
- Add in the spices, lime juice & toss.
- Enjoy !!
During winters you can warm it in a microwave for 30 seconds; serve it cold in summers.
If you can’t imagine yourself eating raw sprouts, than you can saute them in 1/2 teaspoon olive oil for a couple of minutes & then mix with rest of the ingredients.
You may add diced onions, feta cheese (or home made paneer) & tomatoes ( 1/4 cup each ) to make it more colorful. Since the sprouts are already very crunchy, so I skipped onions.
- Sweet potatoes are super rich in Vitamin A, a good source of Vitamin C & totally cholesterol free.
- Black Chana sprouts are a good source of dietary fiber & protiens.
- Avocado is a storehouse of Vitamins ( B- complex ).
More salad recipes coming soon !!!