As a student of Botany, I’ve studied Zucchini as a fruit but now I know that for gastronomic purpose this cucumber-like fruit is used as a vegetable. This is one vegetable ( or fruit ! ) which can be cooked in many different ways – baking, sauteing, grilling and even as a curry. This incredibly versatile and often unsung vegetable when paired with tofu, makes this velvety dish which can be assembled in minutes any time of the day.
Makes: 10 Level : Easy
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 8- 10 minutes
Ready in : 15 minutes Course: Appetizer
6 oz Firm Tofu
1 medium Zucchini
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon basil
1-2 teaspoons chat masala ( from Indian Grocery Store)
1/2 teaspoon salt ( or as per taste)
8-10 Cherry or Grape Tomatoes ( garnish)
- Cut tofu in small rectangles & stir fry them in a small skillet for couple of minutes on low-medium flame. Do this for both sides of tofu.
- Peel the zucchini. Now cut thin slices length wise.
- Stir fry these thin slices (same as we did for tofu).
- Sprinkle basil, salt & chat masala on tofu & Zucchini slices.
- Take one slice of Zucchini at a time and wrap it around each tofu rectangle.
- Use a toothpick to wrap it firmly.
- Don’t forget to garnish the whole wrap with cherry or grape tomatoes!
- Savor these wraps with mint sauce.
- Replace Zucchini with squash & Tofu with Paneer.
- You may want to skip stir frying them & instead bake the whole (raw) wrap in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 F .
- Tofu is low calorie food with no cholesterol & very little sodium.
- Good source of Calcium.
- Zucchini is also low in calories.