Using all raw ( well almost ! ) ingredients, this healthy appetizer is a must try vegetarian food.I’ve grown up eating lentil salad. So this one is just a little twist to my mom’s recipe. Instead of chopping the cucumber, I’ve used it as a cup to fill in the rest of the ingredients to make it a feast for the eyes.
Makes 10 Level : easy
Preparation Time: 2-3 minutes Cooking Time: 3 minutes
Ready In: 10 minutes Course: Appetizer
1/3 cup French lentils, boiled
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt ( or as per taste)
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Chat Masala ( From Indian Grocery store)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Few seeds pomegranate ( garnish)
Special Equipment : Melon Baller
- Heat oil in a small skillet & add cumin seeds.
- Add lentils, salt, chat masala, cilantro & pepper.Saute for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Cut thick slices of cucumber.
- Using a melon baller ( or a teaspoon), scoop out some pulp from the center of each cucumber slice. This would make each cucumber slice look like a cup.
- Fill in the cups with the prepared lentils.
- Garnish each cup with some pomegranate seeds & savor the cups with your favorite soup.
You may substitute lentils with any sprouts,tofu, quinoa or corn.
This dish will stay good for a couple of days in a refrigerator.
Cucumber is a very good source of Potassium ; lentils are loaded with Folate & Thiamine.
Good to know….
Cucumber & Cellulite: Rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes cause the Collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too! ( Source : New York Times )