Fusion Pasta !
This dish is an accidental recipe. It so happened when I was all set to have penne pasta for lunch only to realize later that my pantry was out of pasta. Not only that there was no pasta sauce. My toddler who was really looking forward to his pasta lunch was already seated on his high chair. Few minutes of brainstorming & this recipe was born. I cooked orzo ( a rice shaped pasta) with diced Zucchini & Squash & savored it with Mexican salsa & Indian salad of sliced cucumbers. Sounds interesting? Check this out !
Serves 4 Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 7-8 minutes Ready In: 20 minutes
1 cup Whole wheat Orzo
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup diced squash
1/3 cup onion ( skip during Navratri )
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt ( or as per taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
As sides :
1 medium sized cucumber, sliced
2 tablespoons Salsa
- Cook Orzo as per instructions on its packet & drain it.
- You can dice all the veggies while orzo is still boiling.
- Heat oil in a medium pan & saute onion, zucchini & squash for 5 minutes.
- Now add the drained orzo; season with salt,pepper & oregano.Cook for another 5 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Relish with sliced cucumber & salsa.
If you don’t have Orzo, use brown rice or quinoa.
You may try this recipe with some different veggies.
Whole wheat orzo has good fibre content.
All the veggies used are good source of vitamins & minerals.