The Chick Pea curry, also known as Cholle, is a very popular curry in North India. Traditionally made by soaking the beans overnight & then pressure cooking them for 30 minutes, it has a rich aroma of different spices.You can also soak them in hot water for two hours in case you don’t want to wait overnight. Still too much of work ? Go for canned beans.
Serves: 3 Course: Main
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ready In : 30 minutes
Ready In : 30 minutes
- 2 Cups Garbanzo Beans/ Chick Peas (Boiled )
- 1/4 cup boiled chana dal ( split chick peas)
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies ( optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a medium skillet & add the cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds start cracking,add garam masala & coriander.Saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add onions,ginger paste and green chillies; saute them for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, black pepper & salt. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the chickpeas, chana dal and half cup of water and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for 6-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Using a spatula / ladle, mash the cooked chickpeas to soften them.
- You may add more water ( 1/2 cup ) if needed to have more gravy.Let it cook for 5 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Garnish with cilantro & serve hot.
- If you want to pressure cook the beans, then boil the split chick pea ( Chana Dal) along with the beans.This makes a thick gravy.
- You can substitute diced tomatoes with 1/2 cup of tomato puree.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon ‘Chana Masala’ ( from Indian stores) at the end along with black pepper & salt. I don’t use it but you may if you want. The curry will taste equally good both ways !
- Relish with boiled rice, naan or any other Indian bread.
- Can be enjoyed with burger buns too.
Good source of Dietary Fiber, proteins, Vitamin B6 and Folate.
Interesting Health Benefits
- One study shows that people who were regularly fed with Chick peas/ garbanzo beans had better blood fat regulation, including lower levels of LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides.
- In a recent study, it took only one week of garbanzo bean consumption to improve participants’ control of blood sugar and insulin secretion.