I would like to express my gratitude to Mr.N.P Amoli who is now the Director of Foundation for Attitude and Career Empowerment ( FACE ) & President of Manas Foundation. During my three months of rigorous training under his aegis, he always stressed on the importance of having a ‘Personal Constitution‘ in one’s life. Ever since I made one for myself, life has been a better experience.
When I first thought of making one back in 2006, I knew where to take help from.I took out my scrapbook which had a good collection of some meaningful one liners which I picked up from different magazines, books & journals. I included only those which I thought I could easily ( well not that easy!) incorporate in my own life.This also includes some words of wisdom by my own parents & teachers.
I read my manifesto couple of times a week. It focuses my mind by reminding me of my priorities.Every single day I’m reinforcing these values. Over and over again.
- Seek & merit Divine help.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Keep a good sense of humor.
- Be orderly in person & in work.
- Do not fear mistakes.
- Be receptive to learning
- Remember the people involved.
- Defend those who are absent.
- Avoid passing judgments. If you have to, then hear both sides before judging.
- Try to be a model , not a critic.
- Give honest, sincere appreciation.
- Do not criticize, condemn or complain.
- Listen twice as much as you speak..
- Gift yourself a good book on every Birthday.
- Develop at least one new proficiency every year.
- Keep yourself free from destructive habits.
- Keep yourself physically fit & active.
- Spend less than what you earn.
- You are what you eat..so eat sensibly.
- Develop habits that will free you from your old labels & limitations , therefore expanding your capabilities & choices.
- Spend some time with your own self on a daily basis . If you can not enjoy your own company, how can you expect others to be happy in your company ?
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Succeed at home first.
Kindly note that this is not a to-do list or some kind of New Year resolutions.
These are simple guidelines on how to be a better human being.